progress

Tactics!

Three months later, and I’m back.

Tactics is relevant again, I’ve been resorting code, making things less ugly, and adding functionality to the engine for almost a week now, which means I’m back!

First of all, what have I done up until a week ago?

I was working on graphics, getting polygons to rotate properly, and did it.
I released a working version of this, with a square, movement and rotation. (I was pretty proud of myself: I don’t care what anyone else thinks)Colors, scaling (i.e. zoom) and non-oblong shapes are all completely within the scope of the code I have made, but the point of the release was to test the one feature I had doubts about, not to show off the features I’m comfortable with.

Then I moved house and forgot about it until now. With school exams finished for the semester, I started programming last week, and I feel comfortable saying that I am back!

Since graphics are working, I’m changing the layout of the source, and creating a “game instance” class that will help separate the graphics, engine, and game from eachother, and then it will be work on actual game mechanics like entities and movement!

Exciting times.

Advertisements

“Lots of Potential”

I’m approaching completion of the program in terms of meeting criteria, with at least three quarters of the necessary algorithm made, it’s just a matter of:

  1. Creating enemies
  2. Creating item functionality
  3. Linking all gameplay elements to create a game out of the existing toys
  4. Content such as variety of items/effects, different enemies*
  5. A levelling thing?

*Beyond this it isn’t actually necessary so I doubt it will get done.

Things I have made recently:

  • World map
  • Functionality to look around local area
  • Ability to view inventory
  • Ability to collect nearby objects (in inventory)
  • Ability to move to objects in area.

Code Released here.

Actual Work

I’m actually making relevant code again;

I just made a simple battle system (that doesn’t bother to print its details…) that will quickly resolve who wins out of a pair with a seconds per attack and a damage per attack stat each.

I also made a pair of for loops to generate sets of strings that will give a scale map of the entire game world rather than just the current area.

This is important progress, as I am very consistently losing interest with this project….

Aaanyways.

Progress

My work so far:

01_map

This screenshot shows some teaser code, and a demonstration of my ASCII map, with a rogue-like at-sign-character carelessly splashed across the map.

There are four commands so far:

  • move: randomly moves the player to a different coordinate on the region
  • travel [north | south | east | west]: changes the coordinates of the current region according to the direction specified
  • spawn: randomly places an asterisk on the map
  • exit: terminates the program

Another Project :D

A while ago I mentioned a secret project, rather loosely titled “RPG engine”; well on GitHub is a repository for the design and planning involved, although as of this being published it is it not very detailed. (Also the game idea is very different to what the title tends to imply)

I recently started actually working on a programming project which is designed to be a Harvest Moon clone. It is going to run without any interface, and this will be the case indefinitely. Some day, when I get better at C++ graphics, I shall bother with that, but if I want to work on graphics I’ll just work on my tactics project.

I don’t exactly know how the project is going to go, I’ll just work on it as I wish alongside the other two projects, and try to learn something.

Github

GitHub is Really cool.

Since I am a programmer, and also since open source is amazing, I am now using GitHub for my source.

I have a repository for both of my projects, and some other ones as well; you can look at any / all of them here.

I will still use both of my blogs, but not nearly as actively, particularly at this time (because I should be spending more time creating than blogging!)

The more interest my blogs receive, the more I will maintain activity and interest when communicating updates, obviously.

Now you can finally see my actual work; design ideas posted on the blog will also make their way to the repos.

The first post: Details and thoughts at this time.

“My affair with C++” is going to be a project blog about my two standing C++ projects, as well as whatever C++ related learning events happen along the way.

Project number one:

Tactics engine; top down block colour tactical engine with one gamemode in mind. I call it an engine because I can imagine how versatile tactical game environments are by playing them.

Zombie Text:

A kind of sketchy zombie survival text thingo that might be okay if I make it.
The idea comes from the fact that all of the zombie PBBG’s I have ever seen, either are crap, are non functional at this time, or I can’t remember what they are called and where I can find them. (Oh there is this one semi-decent one but it is all freemium and junk… nice inspiration from it though!)

Yeah so I’ll be working on them, talking about C++ stuff as it comes by, and thinking about where I’d like to take both projects (if only as an experiment for hypothetical game design)

Let me know if you are interested in contributing thoughts and ideas, or playing around with my early versions as they start to actually pump out!

Thanks, Spivee.